Friday 10 August 2012

right, that's done...

I have finished my run of nightshift for this fortnight. Big deep sighs are in order.  I work, as I have said, in an Emergency Department as a nurse, and my current roster pattern is to work week on/week off so I have just finished 6 x 10.5 hour nightshift.  Man, sometimes the things we see are better than on Grey's Anatomy.  Of course, it must remain in the cone of silence, but let's just put it out there that alcohol is by far the worst drug available.  It brings customers to my work that make me laugh, and make me sad and angry, that assault their children, partners, friends and strangers, and those that are deeply unconscious and badly injured from what is widely known in the business as PFO - 'pissed and fell over.'

And alcohol can kill you. Easily.

Also, it has heaps of calories.  My friend Michelle likes me to make my own choices and not force me to do anything but what a joyless waste of calories a binge is. 
I have had contact in my personal life with many people that I care about who've had significant problems with alcohol.  Somehow, personality type, wilful determination or good luck has seen me as someone who just isn't that interested in regular alcohol, in spite of the 'rogue Irish gene' and it's tendency towards excessive fondness for alcohol.   I have certainly had some lovely vomit in the gutter 19yo moments, and have been known to have a few more than necessary.

But for the last 6 months or so, I have decided that it's a bit of a dud, and now, I'd currently average about 3 standard drinks a month and I think that is just fine.  It's interesting though how difficult other people find it when you say no to a drink.  Oh well, that's their stuff.

So now that I am a human, rather than a 'worker' for the next week, I can really knuckle down on getting these preseason and warm ups for the 12wbt done. 

Please tolerate my fiddling whilst I get myself better oriented to blog land and play with settings and layout on my blog.  And to those of you following me, thanks for coming and I look forward to all your comments.  And to my 12wbt peers, gee this is an exciting time, on the cusp of big change and working towards being super ready and able to jump into the challenge in just 16 days.  yippee

No comments:

Post a Comment