Wednesday 22 August 2012

Pre-Season Task #7 - Fitness Test

I'll be honest.

I did think I was looking forward to this, and then found myself avoiding it.

This week is a work week for me and I was blabbing on to myself...I'll need to wait for the weekend till I'm finished work, I've got a cough and a...well nothing really.  Just didn't really want to.

So this arvo, I got up and got into my gear, picked up miscellaneous children, waited for the Nigelator to get home from golf (incidentally his best golf round EVER, he told me. So he was very accommodating) and out I went.

Miss 5yo, 'the goose', saddled up on her bike and off we went.  I had googled my 1km route and we walked there briskly, and we were careful to be sure I was exactly aware of where my start and end were.

Then home again, to do the rest of it...

The results are...

1km run - 5min 5secs - Intermediate rating

Wall sit - 16secs.  Beginner rating.
 A little disappointing.  Thought I was stronger than that.  Can't really blame the sore thighs from Saturday's DVD work out though, since it's now Wednesday.  It's probably more likely that I am not as strong as I'd like to think I am.  Room for improvement.

Push ups - 1 toes, 32 knees - Intermediate rating.  Surprising. 

Sit and Reach - + 12cm - Advanced.  Always been flexible.  This has been as high as 27cm in the past.  Again, improvement possible.

Sit up - a somewhat half arsed Stage 1 - beginner.  Completely unsurprising.  Coupled with my mangey lower back, an area for loads of improvement.

So overall,  an intermediate I guess.  I am doing the 10 running program but still, it's a benchmark to measure my improvement over time.

I am really excited about the final preseason task being released tomorrow and the first week's info coming out too. 

I feel more ready to embrace the whole package of lifestyle change than ever before.  Previous efforts to apply myself to exercise, or healthy eating have been uncoordinated and quickly burnt out.  I feel all the preseason work has encouraged me to completely examine what's going on with my attitudes to health, food and myself and my place in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get all evangelical about Michelle, the messiah my new friend, because this stuff is all just common sense and mathematics

Eat less, eat well, exercise for fitness and enjoy balance in your life.

However, I think the program has been structured in such a way as to step you through what's really going on with where you are at in your life. 

And I can see what Michelle means when she said that the people who really work through the preseason tasks are the ones who have the greatest success. 
Not necessarily the ones who lose the most weight, but the ones who stick to it, and who really make and keep the changes to alter their behaviour and attitudes to health and food and their weight.

I can see already, who's who when I look on the forums - some people already looking for excuses.  Others removing or working around the challenges in their way.

I feel so ready to do this and can't wait to get into it.

Thank you too, to my lovely collection of followers. Nice to see you are travelling along with me.






No comments:

Post a Comment