Saturday 11 August 2012

Pre-season task #1 - Get Real

This challenge is all about identifying the excuses that have been holding you up and contributing towards becoming a fatty boomba.

It has been an interesting process to examine the self talk that makes it ok and consider the ways that can be overcome.  Not just words this time but a genuine exploration of the real stuff going on.

So far, I have come up with ...

I've got too much to do

I work nightshift

I deserve to have a rest

I have no persistence

I can do it on my own

I can't do it on my own, I may as well not try

I've had 4 babies live in my body, I'm meant to be different to how I was before

i can't afford it

i have to do other things

sick kids

work stress

family crisis

I'm sick

I'm tired

It's too hard

It's alright for her, she has/doesn't have .....

Whatever.  What a load of crap.  How is it that an intelligent person, competent at many things, can't just get on with the rocket science of eat less/exercise more?

Because I think that I, like many people have fallen into the trap of thinking that I can live without consequences.  The generation of you can do anything, you can have everything you want.  Well, yeah, but you must pay somewhere.  Sure, eat what you want.  Reward yourself  with food.  That's what got you here.  How's that workin for ya? (thanks Dr Phil)

Not so well.  I don't feel like I can stand proud in my clothes.  I don't feel like the person in the mirror reflects who I believe I am.  But, suck it up princess...it IS who you are.  You want to be different?  Start trying to be different.  Really trying.  And sometimes it will be really trying.  Hard.  Know why?  Because you have thought this way for a long time.

So how are you going to change it?

Well, thanks for asking

I will plan plan plan.  Geez I love a list.  (shall post more about that another day)

I will schedule exercise along with other commitments, including work

I know that rest will be more enjoyable after committing to myself.

I will get support from forums, so that I can keep it up.

I will keep going.  I am a healthy capable person.  I can do it.

I will make it a habit to put myself higher on the list

I will spend less on health care, more on health promotion

I can do my other stuff too - I am more efficient when I am looking after myself.

I will think carefully about what I commit my time to.  Does it really help me be the person I want to be?  Is it a good use of my time.

I will remember that  I think clearer when I have exercised

I can still make time in most days, regardless. How much does that problem really need my attention continuously? Less than I think, probably.

And so what about that other person that is bigger/smaller whatever-er than me?  This is about finding my best me.  I look to others for inspiration, not to make myself feel worse.  Get support form people who help me feel better, not people who want to bring me down.

Phew.  That feels better.

NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment