Monday 13 August 2012

Pre-Season Task #5 - Kitchen Makeover and DER moments in the kitchen

This was a painless task.  Nothing needed to be thrown out, added some quinoa.  Mostly because I like that word and how it sounds, and people (you know them, people.  The ones with all the right information) say it's healthy.

We live a reasonably clean life here, food wise.  My boomba status is all about my portion-control-ectomy, and overcoming it.  I don't ever recall being a person who says 'No, thanks, I've had enough.'  Ever. 

So the pantry, fridge and freezer are in a pretty good state.  They have been for about 5 years now since we moved away from the big smoke of Melbourne, where I had lived most of my life and moved with our 3 children, then aged 6months, 2 and nearly 4, to Tumut, NSW in the valley of the Snowy Mountains.  What a wonderful time, and a great location.  We really loved it there. 

During that time, we got our hands dirty in our veggie garden and I started making our own bread and jam and stuff.  Making as many things from scratch as I could. 
It was during this time, that my Grandmother said 'you've always been a little bit country' and she meant that this was a lifestyle she could always see me living...3 young children, trying to buck the flow of plastic toys and parent intuitively, cooking naturally and involving myself in community.

Also during this time, our oldest son, N, had an allergic reaction to an unknown substance.  Blood tests were inconclusive and so we went hardcore and eliminated all the food that wasn't basic.  We did the FAILSAFE diet, and were fortunate that a few others in the community were doing it too. It changed the way we looked at food.
We now know that N has an anaphylaxis to both Pecans and Walnuts (proven by an almighty anaphylactic reaction almost a year ago and some follow up testing), and so we have become a little more moderate with our diet but we still observe the clean living, basic philosophies of

make it from scratch if you can
if you don't know the ingredients on the list, maybe you shouldn't eat it
weird numbers on the ingredient list probably do weird things

So that leaves us with a healthy trolley and a healthy plate, but a boomba mummy (and a slightly boomba daddy, truth be told but that's his journey, not mine. I will forge on and maybe he'll come too).
And it is all about portion control.

DER

I was listening to the PST#5 podcast yesterday,

(how I love podcasts, I can multitask. Yesterday it was walking to school to pick up the kids and listening to all the 12WBT PS tasks; today when I ran to the shops for sandwich bread for school.  it was a trauma nursing podcast.  I know, it's a little manic.  We'll talk about my mania another day)


AND my friend Michelle said that in a comparison between the fabulous exerciser and the fabulous eater, the eater will lose weight every time.

Again,  DER.

Why is this so tricky to get into my reasonably intelligent noggin?  

And in a forced choice between wagging exercise and slipping with an extra portion, it is by far the better option to wag the exercise.

However, who forces us to choose?  Rarely is someone dangling my children over a cliff saying 'Ditch the run, or eat the pasta.  Which is it going to be?  Choose or the kid gets it.'  That's right, folks.  NO ONE makes us choose that.
We can choose to do the run, AND not have the pasta.  And we can chose to keep doing it.

And keep the kids.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment