Friday 17 August 2012

Embracing the change


So here is a little more about me.  This is me and my bloke, the Nigelator.  He's such a good man, and we have been together for almost 20 yrs.  Below is a photo of us at a wedding of a colleague in May.  We shall call this the 'Before' photo because I am 7kg less today than that day -a very jolly 77.6kg I was.  Not any more. 

There is another photo of me at that wedding.  I must have been quite thirsty though, because I look much happier and disinhibited, also much larger.  I might post it at a later date.






On further successful ventures...cooking.  I made the caramelised pork with sweet potato mash from the forums a few nights ago.  Delish and so filled with guilt-lessness. 

Below is a snap from last night's dinner - I know, I know, you can't tell one from the other.  The one on the right of the picture is my version of Michelle's Crunch Time cookbook lentil shepherds pie (p115).  The dish on the left of my photo is the picture from the book.





I tweaked mine by using the bolognese recipe from the same book, with double the veg/meat ratio, then I buzzed a drained and rinsed tin of lentils with a tin of tomatoes and added to the meat and veg.  Cauliflower topping was the same.   So it worked out to be around 350-400 cal per serve, I suppose.  The crowd went wild.  Except for Miss L, usually the most adventurous eater in our house.  She ate it once she realised everyone else loved it.



To demonstrate that Mum's new food will be fabulous and interesting I also made the Strawberry and passionfruit yoghurt semifreddo from the Crunch Time book (p190).  I used both strawberries and raspberries.  They sunk into the mix a little as I was too impatient to wait for my eggs to be pale and thick.  No matter. 


WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS, KIDS?



Thought so.

Today, after two days of bitter cold and heavy rain, I realised that I had another excuse on my hands -
'I can't go for a run, it's too wet and I only have one good pair of running shoes and one set running clothes.'

No you don't, BeccyB.  Solve that problem.  Make Michelle proud. 
If I am doing the running plan, there will be times I need an alternative.  This could also work during my nightshift week, where I sometimes struggle to find time where the kids are supervised  and I can get out to run.  Don't think it's a great plan for them to run with me in the rain.

Off we went, Nigelator off to golf, me and the small folks into the car.  Straight to BigW, shrine to all things Michelle.  Asked the 12yo boy behind the counter.  NO Michelle DVDs.  Seriously?  But this is the land of Michelle.  I know, he squeaks.  Sorry.

WHATEVER.

So start driving home. Pull over to the side of the road.  Fix that excuse.  Pick up the phone and call call connect( I love them. 12456 and they do all the work).

Hello, JB HIFI?  Do you have Michelle?
NO?  Lots on backorder though. 
Not helping.

Hello, Target?  Do YOU have Michelle?
YES, crunch time 3 disc set.  Will put one aside.

Screaming power u-turn.  And now, all is well in the world. 

If you'll excuse me, Michelle and I have a date.  And then the kids and I are watching Bolt and having popcorn before I nap and start nightshift again tonight.

Saturday night in ED.  Hold on tight.

4 comments:

  1. came over to your blog from Pea Green Boat...and feeling a tad inspired. Need to do something to lose 10+kg...have got as far as buying new runners but sick kids...work.husband away yadda yadda yadda excuses excuses. Hoping a read of your blog and some of the others in your blog list will give me the kick in the pants I seem to need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over michele, and for you comment. I am glad that some of what I said has been useful for you. So easy to find excuses isn't it? But, you've got the runners, and that's a start. Hope I can see you in bloggy land working towards what you want.

      Becc

      Delete
  2. I just picked up the 3 DVD set on Friday myself and did the Cardio Kicker on Saturday - loved it! Still feeling it too! Can't wait to try the others. Good luck Beccy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, Jodene, I did the 'tight, toned and terrific' on Saturday arvo too. Still feeling it too!! Didn't feel like it was too bad while I was doing it and was a little disappointed to only burn 300 odd calories but man, it must be doing crazy good things to my muscles, and I didn't even use weights.
      Will be doing the next one tomorrow - Super Shredder. Would love to hear how you are going with them as you progress.
      And good luck to you too, Jodene.

      Delete